Do you remember the last time your home was rewired? It doesn’t have to be often. However, finding the “right” time to rewire isn’t always straightforward. Although copper wiring can last between 40 to 100 years, that’s not the same as the actual wiring job itself. A poorly wired home may need attention far sooner than expected.
In general, we suggest having your home inspected every 10 years. However, if you have any reason to suspect that your home needs rewiring before then—or if you’re confident that you really don’t need rewiring—we think you can benefit from consulting our list of rewiring issues:
1. Scorch Marks
If you see these black stains around your outlets or light switches, you’re in serious need of rewiring. Scorch marks are a sign that someone can get shocked from operating that switch or outlet.
2. Electrical Shocks
Are you getting a shock whenever you plug in a cord? That wasn’t just a fluke—it’s a sign that your electrical work is outdated.
3. Loose Outlets
A loose electrical outlet could be due to faulty craftsmanship (and possibly an electrical code violation), or it could just be worn out. Either way, it requires professional attention.
4. Dimming and Flickering Lights
This is typically a sign of a circuit that is overloading. Or, it could be a loose connection, perhaps due to aged and fraying wires.
5. Aluminum Wiring
Aluminum wiring was used in the 1960s, and special considerations must be taken to ensure that it can be safely used. Alternatively, having the house rewired for copper can be more convenient in the long run.
6. Cords and Switches are Warm to the Touch
Electrical components that are hot is always an indication of an overloaded circuit. Refrain from using the light or cord and call an electrician in Kent, WA.
7. Appliances Have a Shorter Lifespan
Overloaded circuits lead to too much power routing to your appliances. That can result in microwaves, refrigerators, and other expensive appliances shorting out before their time.
8. Buzzing or Sizzling From Your Lights
First, try changing the lightbulb itself. If that doesn’t help, then the issue most likely resides in the wiring.
9. Damaged Insulation
Often, the wires will be tucked away behind the walls. If you do have a chance to inspect them and find that the insulation is cracked, cut, or broken, you may need a professional to take a look.
10. Light Bulbs Keep Burning Out
Does it feel like you’re changing one particular light bulb far too often? That could be a sign that the fixture can’t handle the bulb.
11. Frequently Blown Fuses or Tripped Breakers
Light bulbs that frequently burn out in a socket could be a sign that you’re using the wrong bulb. On the other hand, it might be due to a fixture that has begun to age.
12. Sparks From the Outlet
A blue spark that happens faster than a blink is usually not a problem, especially if it doesn’t keep happening. On the other hand, frequent yellow sparking is not a good sign.
Contact Resicon LLC today to request a free consultation.